History of the Pacific Coast Amateur
The present history of the Pacific Coast Amateur only dates back to 1967, however the roots of the Championship make it one of the oldest amateur golf events in North American history.
On April 6, 1901, the San Francisco Chronicle reported, “after many setbacks, the Pacific Coast Golf Association has at last been formed, and before the end of the present month the coast will possess a bona-fide golf champion.”
The first Championship was held on the links of the San Francisco Golf Club at The Presidio, April 24-27, 1901. Championships were held annually through 1911, all being conducted in California except for the 1909 championship, which was held at Seattle Golf Club in Washington.
The Pacific Coast Amateur then ceased to exist, only to be reconstituted at Seattle Golf Club on August 10-12, 1967. The modern era of the PCGA occurred following a meeting of representatives of several golf associations throughout the western United States at Pebble Beach in November, 1965.
The objective of this meeting was to start a golf Championship with the stature that would attract the attention of the USGA and display the ability of amateur golfers in the western United States for possible Walker Cup Team selection. Dr. Ed Updegraff of Tucson, Ariz., was the only western player who had recently participated (1963 and 1965) in the Walker Cup matches.
The Pacific Northwest, Northern California, Southern California, Oregon and Arizona golf associations participated in the inaugural Pacific Coast Amateur Championship at Seattle Golf Club in 1967. Today, 15 member associations comprise the Pacific Coast Golf Association, including 13 from the United States and two from Canada.
After changes to the competition format in 1997 and a subsequent return to it’s original competition style in 2002, the Pacific Coast Amateur is contested over the course of 72 holes without a cut. Concurrent with the individual competition is the Morse Cup team competition for member associations.
For more information on the Morse Cup and its history, please click here.
In 2010, the championship named its perpetual trophy in honour of Dr. Ed Updegraff. Read More.